Android Automotive SDK provides you with all the tools you need to build engaging apps for the car.
The Volvo Cars XC40 Recharge emulator for Android Studio lets you build and test your app for Android Automotive OS. The emulator offers a preview of the same controls and context you would find inside a real XC40. Integrate fully with Google apps and services like Google Assistant for voice control, Google Maps for navigation and Google Play for access to other apps.
Begin by following the steps below to get you a local copy on your machine for development and testing purpose.
Install Android Studio 4.2 or higher on your machine. Download here.
1. Add emulator to Android Studio
- In Android Studio, select Tools > SDK Manager.
- Click the SDK Update Sites tab.
- Click Add.
- Enter the following:
- Name: Volvo System Image
- URL: https://developer.volvocars.com/
- Click OK.
- Switch to the SDK Platforms tab.
- Enable the Show Package Details checkbox.
- Enable Volvo System Image under Android 10.0.
- Click OK.
2. Create Android Virtual Device
Create an Android Virtual Device (AVD) by using the Volvo Cars XC40 Recharge emulator.
- Restart Android Studio before creating an AVD.
- In Android Studio, select Tools > AVD Manager. For newer versions of Android Studio, select Tools > Device Manager.
- Click Create Virtual Device. For newer versions of Android Studio, click Create Device.
- Select Automotive from the menu on the left.
- Choose Volvo XC40.
- Click Next.
Note: If you do not see Volvo XC40, then restart Android Studio. It will appear when you open device manager again.
3. Build your application
Note: The emulator system images for Automotive are currently in beta since the emulator doesn’t support Bluetooth and the system image has a Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) related Common Type System (CTS) test failure.