Android Automotive SDK
Android automotive OS
How to install #AndroidAutomotiveOS for Volvo Cars
The Volvo Cars XC40 Emulator for Android Studio lets you test and evaluate your app projects for Android Automotive OS. It features a full implementation of Google apps and services: Google Assistant for voice control, Google Maps for navigation, and Google Play for access to apps. These features, along with the Volvo Cars-specific system image, provide a preview of the same control and visuals for your apps inside the XC40.
These instructions will get you a copy of the project up and running on your local machine for development and testing purposes. See deployment for notes on how to deploy the project on a live system.
Install Android Studio 4.2 or higher (currently in preview).
Download link here.
01 Add emulator URL to Android Studio
In Android Studio, select Tools > SDK Manager.
Click the SDK Update Sites tab.
Click Add and enter the following Name and URL, then click OK:Name: Volvo System ImageURL: https://developer.volvocars.com/sdk/volvo-sys-img.xml
Switch to the SDK Platforms tab and enable the Show Package Details checkbox.
Enable Volvo system image under Android 10.0. Click OK.
02 Create an AVD using the Volvo Cars XC40 emulator
- Restart Android studio before creating an AVD.
- In Android Studio, select Tools > AVD Manager.
- Click Create Virtual Device and select Automotive from the menu on the left.
- Choose Volvo XC40 and click Next (if you do not see Volvo XC40 then restart Android Studio! It will appear when you open AVD manager again).
- Choose Volvo XC40 and click Next (if you do not see Volvo XC40 restart Android Studio! It will appear when you open AVD manager again).
03 Try the Google sample apps
- Visit the Car Samples Repository on Github.
- Android Auto - Driver-optimized app experience for users with an Android phone and an Android Auto-compatible car. The experience appears on the car's head unit but is powered by the connected Android phone.
- Android Automotive OS - Android-based infotainment system that is built in to vehicles. The car's system is a stand-alone Android device that is optimized for driving.
Note: The emulator system images for Automotive should be considered as beta, since the emulator doesn't support Bluetooth and the system image has a GNSS related CTS test failure.